RSS
Welcome to my blog, hope you enjoy reading :)

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

On parser for Tamil & linguistics and mathematics...

I think that Tamil is probably the only language that is grammatically sophisticated and yet simple. Many would agree...I even found this writeup: http://tamil.berkeley.edu/Tamil%20Chair/TamilClassicalLanguage/TamilClassicalLgeLtr.html. Wow!!

A few years ago I stumbled on this article http://www.infitt.org/ti2003/papers/19_raman.pdf which discusses how to build LALR parser for tamil "venba"s!!

Isn't that cool! Based on this one can provide natural language interface for conversing in venbas with a computer... lol... or probably build a "sanga palagai" that can expand if a proper venba is recited...

Another related fact is that Chomsky proved that linguistics and mathematics are related; if you cant find the original article read discussion in the book "Mathematics: The science of patterns - Keith Devlin". It is really a cool book - not into overly complicated expressons; very lucid.

If you are interested in similar topics I was told that "Zero: The Biography of a Dangerous Idea" is a good book. I have to check it out.
UPDATE: I got hold of this book and am reading it now. Somehow this is not as impressive as Mathematics: The science of patterns; I find many material that I had seen in other earlier books. :(

No comments: